Life and Times

Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Best of Times Continued......

When I was in High School there was a Father/Daughter dance. I asked my dad to go with me. I was 16 at the time. My dad agreed. We went to the school, I wore a skirt and blouse and dad wore a nice shirt and pants. They took pictures of daughters sitting on their dad's laps and dads danced with their daughters and we all had a good time. I'm not sure how much fun it was for dad but it meant the world to me that he agreed to go. I will always remember that night as my night with him.

My mom and I never really had too many troubles when I was growing up but mom had problems with depression. I don't hold it against her because it's something that happens. So for this part I want to point out that I don't have any real hard feelings with mom.
In high school they also had a mother/daughter tea. I had asked mom to go with me but on the day of the tea she was in one of her "moods" so she wouldn't go. She told me to please ask someone else to go. Now at the time it hurt because it was "Mother/Daughter" tea and she was my mother. I did ask my boyfriend's mom to go and she agreed. Carol became my mother-in-law later and my very good friend. We had a good time at the tea and I thank her to this day for going with me.

When I got married Sue, my sister, had a bridal shower for me. To my surprise my dad showed up with a gift for me. Now mind you there are 10 women sitting around and in comes dad with a gift. He gave me the gift and kissed me and went then into the back bedroom and stayed there until it was over. How cute is that? Mom wasn't feeling well so he wanted to come but didn't want to hang with the girls.

Having children is always a wonderful time. When I was in labor with Jessy I had half of the state of Oregon (or so it seemed) at the hospital waiting for his delivery. He was the first grandchild on the Hanson side so it was very special. I was told that I could not deliver on the 11th because it was Carol and Chuck's anniversary and also chuck would be out of town or something. So what do I do?? I went into labor on the 12th at 4:30 am. I did not have real active labor until later but started very early in the morning. When Jessy was delivered at 9:23 pm I believe I had Corey, Carol, Louise, Johnny and I don't even know who else in the room with me. There were more in the hallway waiting also. It was a wonderful memory and made me feel very special to have so many people want to be there for me.

Having Jake was a different story. He was also very wanted and important however deliveries are different. I was told by Joy that I could not deliver until after hunting season was over because she wanted to be there. So on the last day of hunting season I went into labor. I called Joy and the rest of the family to tell them I was in labor. I had a doctors appointment that morning and was told to go to the hospital immediately (this was at 11:00 am). I delivered Jake at 3:05 pm (I think) with Carol, Joy and Corey there. The rest were in the hallway again waiting. Joy made it as she had just come in from hunting when I called her.
So all in all I did as requested with both of the boys and all was wonderful. Both boys are beautiful young adults now and man does time fly!!!

I have had beautiful moments and will probably write more again later. These are just a couple of the highlights of my life that I remember. It's nice to think about and remember especially since dad has been gone for 14 years now and mom is also gone.
One more memory I'd like to tell you about.
When I was grown and moved out I heard that Kenny Rogers and Lee Greenwood were playing in Eugene. I got with Sue and Janna and we planned a trip. I wanted to surprise mom with the trip. We rented a car and told mom to wear something nice. We picked her up and we took her to dinner and then to the show. We had the best time! Mom loved the show because they are two of her favorite artists. It was certainly a night to remember and mom was so surprised I thought she was going to cry.

What wonderful moments to reflect on! I love memories. They keep us going in times of pain or sadness. All we have to do is think of a good memory and our mood inproves.

2 Comments:

  • At June 5, 2009 at 7:49 PM , Blogger Trish said...

    Ok I totally remember that Father/Daughter tea.

    I was in the room with Jesse I think. I remember you laying in the bed and my ear ring fell out on the floor between your legs, I thought I would die. I had to get it so I hurried up and grabbed it in fear of what might happen while I was bending down. LOL You don't remember I can't believe that.

     
  • At June 9, 2009 at 7:03 PM , Blogger Janna said...

    Yup, I was there too! They insisted that you had way too many in there and made us go out in the hall. Dang it all...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home