Life and Times

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Remembering the Good Times

I was reflecting on life in the past the other day and thought I'd share some of the really happy moments in my life.

One of my first memories was waterskiing with my family. There are 8 kids so packing up for a day at the lake is no small feat. We would load up the boat, food, drinks, blankets, towels, inner tubes etc and head to Cooper Creek or which ever lake we happen to be going to. Cooper Creek was always close and easy to get to and our favorite. We would get to the lake and unload the vehicle and dad would unload the boat into the water. We would find a nice little cove big enough for like 20 people since my older sisters were married and had their husbands with them. It looked like a block party and not just a single family. Dad would warm the boat up and then we would take turns skiing. Since we have such a large family we would always partner skiing. We all had a partner which we skiied with well and so it was two skiers at once. My partner was Linda. She single skied and I double skied. What fun we would have. I skied with my brother Johnny and would criss cross across the water one lifting the rope so the other one could go under and flip back and forth so we could spray the other skier. Man what a blast. My dad was an amazing skier. He didn't ski much but it was a priveledge to watch him when he did. He would start off (single ski) either on the beach or on the dock and he would let the rope get just about taught and say "hit it" and the driver would and off my dad would go onto the water. He never fell and never got wet either. When he was done they would circle back and make a big turn close to the beach and he would let go and end up in ankle deep water. I was totally amazed.
We would stay at Cooper Creek until it was almost dark and we were all totally exhausted and then go home. Those were the best of times.

2 Comments:

  • At June 5, 2009 at 7:47 PM , Blogger Trish said...

    Yeah remember I dislocated my pelvic bone after yelling hit it. Ouch man I still remember sinking.

     
  • At June 6, 2009 at 7:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I also remember you trying to learn to ski at Platt I. That was the funniest thing to watch. You were only little, maybe 10 or so, and dad had told you what to do. You would stand up and wait for the boat to take off and then sure enough you would lean forward and from then on you were face down in the water. You would not let go until you were almost drowned. Dad would be screaming "let go" and all of us would be yelling at you, but as they say, "hell no she won't let go". I was not sure you would ever learn to ski, but you did and nicely.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home